Friday, March 19, 2010

Man escapes house fire with help from service dog.


SPOKANE, Wash. - A man who has been on bed rest for the past five months after breaking both his legs is crediting his service dog with helping him escape his burning home.

Jake Vernon was sleeping in his home near Howard and Dalke Wednesday morning when he says his service dog, Gracie, woke him up by pulling on his blanket and barking.

Vernon says he couldn't figure out what his dog was doing until he saw his room filling with smoke.

"I didn't hear no fire alarm. I didn't hear nothing," said Vernon.

Vernon immediately crawled out of bed and to his wheelchair and was able to make it out of his home with his dog and without injury.

"If it wasn't for my dog pulling on my Snuggie and barking, I don't think I'd of made it out the house," said Vernon.

Fire crews arrived on scene shortly after and quickly knocked the fire down, keeping it contained to one bedroom.

Jake is married, though his wife was not home when the fire broke out.

Fire investigators are working to determine a cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment